Fietsemaker's Stupid Doubles Adventure

In deze forum kun je over alles wat er omtrent Dance Dance Revolution en In The Groove te maken heeft, praten en discussieren.
In this forum you are allowed to talk and discuss anything regarding Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove.
Fietsemaker

Fietsemaker's Stupid Doubles Adventure

Postby Fietsemaker » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Hello folks, welcome to my attempt at making a small series of video's I've decided to dub Fietsemaker's Stupid Doubles Adventure.

So what's this all about...
Seeing Thumbsy upload many videos of his arcade/convention plays made me want to upload some of my own stuff as well. To make things interesting, I've decided to do a small themed series of videos in which I'll play some of my favorite stupid doubles charts on ITG. Why stupid doubles? Because I love playing them, and maybe after watching this more people will love them as well. I might also play some stupid singles.

Added in 8 minutes 33 seconds:
Fietsemaker's SDA #1: A Turtle's Heart (9) - 97.71%

Title: A Turtle's Heart
Artist: Mili
Pack: Valex's Magical 4-Arrow Adventure 7
Step artist: J. Berkowitz

The first episode features a song that is relatively easy to pass and not all that stupid. However, it does feature some pretty technical sections and has a complex rhythm, so it's not that easy to FA.

The first pattern that stands out occurs at 0:22/0:28, where you have to spin around hitting 4 arrows with one foot. Another great pattern first appears at 0:40, where you have to hop back and forth between the up arrows of both pads with one foot. Both patterns are tricky to sightread, but a lot of fun to play once you get the hang of them.

You can get the pack and try the song here:
http://roll.divinelegy.com/#/pack/c821c ... dventure-7
0 x

Thumbsy

Re: Fietsemaker's Stupid Doubles Adventure

Postby Thumbsy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Oh dear, now he's out to dominate the Double domain too :P

But yeah that definitely looks like a fun chart! Your accuracy is ace as usual too, blimey.

Looking forward to the 'stupid' double charts, the room for silly pattern gimmicks is what makes Double so interesting c:
0 x
Events I'm attending/planning involving dancing games, feel free to join! :) :
2019.xx.xx:
Find all rhythm game events in the Netherlands here!

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Fietsemaker's SDA #2: Centipede (10) - 96.16%

Title: Centipede
Artist: Knife Party
Pack: Only One Couples Pack 2 (stupid doubles edit)
Step artists: Gloves & Daki

This episode is going to dive right into stupid doubles territory with Centipede, an ITG couples chart I edited for doubles play. The chart for Centipede really does justice to it's name, and has the player crawling around the pad on their hands and feet.

This chart is pretty crazy all around, but there are a few interesting patterns in particular. I really like the recurring pattern at 0:21 which has the player walking across the pad while holding down the leftmost/rightmost panel with hands. There is also a wide jump at 1:10 that kind of comes out of nowhere, but is fun nevertheless. All together the chart might look intimidating, but it's actually not that bad if you practice it, which is also why I rerated it from an 11 to a 10 after I made the video.
0 x

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Hahah love that :D
That P1-left-P2-right jump though... that just had me 'wait wat'
But very cool chart overall ^^ and another star lol
0 x
2019.xx.xx:

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Fietsemaker's SDA #3: Forever (11) - 94.00%

Title: Forever
Artist: General Mumble
Pack: Arrows Are Magic Vol. 1
Step artist: WinDEU

This episode features a technical doubles chart by the well-known step/mod artist WinDEU. It plays very differently from the other doubles charts in Arrows Are Magic, and is definitely the most fun chart in the pack for me.

The chart is a mix of straightforward fast-paced sections (such as the bursts at 0:56 and 1:54) and more technical slower sections. It has a lot of patterns that keep the player near the center of the pad (as opposed to more traditional doubles charts that move the player back and forth between the left/right pad), which I really like. Highlights of the chart include the dual pad play at 0:11, the complex crossovers at 1:06, and the lightning speed jumps at 1:21 followed by more complex crossovers.
0 x

Nel

Postby Nel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:03 pm

wow this is cool
0 x

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Fietsemaker's SDA #4: KKKKK Come On (12) - 95.50%

Title: KKKKK Come On
Artist: Slagsmalklubben
Pack: r2112
Step artist: Gloves

This episode it's time for another doubles chart that is very stupid, in a good way. This was actually one of the first stupid doubles charts I ever played (several years ago), and even though it took me several tries to pass it, it got me hooked on stupid doubles.

It's hard to pinpoint which parts of the chart are interesting in particular, because this chart has some crazy patterns all around. My favorite sections are probably the insanely complicated crossovers at 0:13/1:51, the wide marching at 0:38, the dual pad play at 1:39, and the ridiculous jumps at 2:15. The chart is very hard to sightread, so be prepare to spend some time on practice if you want to play this.
0 x

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:06 pm

I find it especially impressive how well you manage to not misplace your foot with all those insanely wide-spread patterns :D
Love seeing those complex crossovers being pulled off. Nice one ^^
0 x
2019.xx.xx:

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks, I had to practice this one quite a bit before I managed to play the entire song without making any big mistakes. If you screw up during the crossover patterns, it's very hard to recover.
0 x

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Fietsemaker's SDA #5: For Lovers not Fighters (11) - 96.95%

Title: For Lovers not Fighters (Tsukasa Remix)
Artist: Masayoshi Minoshima feat. Misato
Pack: Gensokyo Daydream
Step artist: R. Uchima

This episode features another technical doubles chart. It is not quite stupid, but it definitely has some wacky elements to it. Like Forever, it plays very differently from the other doubles in Gensokyo Daydream and it is easily my favourite chart in the pack.

While most of the chart has pretty standard doubles play, there are two things that make it stand out. The first is the abundance of footswitches. One pattern I like in particular is first seen at 0:22, which only uses left/right panels. The second interesting feature is the triple arrow jumps, tough patterns that force the player to press two panels with one foot. They occur several times throughout the file (0:28, 1:10 and 1:40) and are very hard to sightread.
0 x

Return to “Dance Dance Revolution / In The Groove”