ArrowVortex (DDR/ITG/PIU Stepfile Editor)

Hier kun je zelfgemaakte stepfiles posten en praten over stepfile editing (audio files graag extern hosten vanwege copyright redenen).
Here you can post stepfiles you created and talk about stepfiles editing (please host audio files externally for copyright reasons).
Fietsemaker

ArrowVortex (DDR/ITG/PIU Stepfile Editor)

Postby Fietsemaker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 pm

This thread is for discussion and updates on the development of ArrowVortex. If you want to download the latest version of ArrowVortex or find out more information, you can head over to the website:

https://arrowvortex.ddrnl.com/

I'll continue to use this thread to post updates on new releases and reply to feedback.
Last edited by Fietsemaker on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 am, edited 7 times in total.
3 x

Fietsemaker

Re: ArrowVortex (DDR/ITG/PIU Stepfile Editor)

Postby Fietsemaker » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 pm

The new build of ArrowVortex is out, grab yourself a copy today!

There are several small bugfixes and some added features, which you can check out in the changelog in the original post. The most important additions are the ArrowVortex icon (yessss) and the option to select/copy/paste tempo changes in sync mode, which makes editing gimmicks a lot more convenient.
0 x

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Thank you for your work! A comprehensive list of feedback will be coming your way in the future :)
But I can already say this in advance; ArrowVortex is the first stepchart editor to make me switch from SM3.9+ in the six years that I have been stepcharting now. It's exactly what I needed to give stepcharting a breath of fresh air again for myself.
0 x
=====
Events I'm attending/planning involving dancing games, feel free to join! :) :
2017.09.24: O.N.D.E.R. 2
2017.10.21: DDR-Exp V7

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I think I've tinkered enough with the application for now to provide a nice first batch of feedback. Plenty of charts that I managed to make meanwhile thanks to that!

The broken stuff / stuff that is somewhat important / significantly breaks workflow:
  • When creating a new chart, when you fill in something in the 'Step artist' field of the 'NEW CHART' window, it has no effect. The step artist still needs to be added in after the new chart has been created.
  • #ATTACKS get messed up. For example, a nicely formatted

Code: Select all

#ATTACKS:TIME=21.945:END=32.916:MODS=*1.2   No   Stealth
    :TIME=21.946:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth
    :TIME=24.688:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth
    :TIME=27.431:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth
    :TIME=30.173:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth
    ;

Turns into

Code: Select all

#ATTACKS:TIME=21.945:END=32.916:MODS=*1.2   No   Stealth      :TIME=21.946:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth      :TIME=24.688:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth      :TIME=27.431:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth      :TIME=30.173:LEN=0.514:MODS=*6   96%   Stealth      ;

(I'm not sure why but the [code] tags seem to replace every space with three spaces)
  • The following fields are missing when saving in ArrowVortex:
    #TITLETRANSLIT:;
    #SUBTITLETRANSLIT:;
    #ARTISTTRANSLIT:;

In fact, maybe it would be an idea to go over the list of fields that we want ArrowVortex to create by default since right now it really only does the bare-bones.
  • When adjusting the offset, the Time value (i.e. Current Second, at the bottom of the application if made visible) does not update untill you navigate the chart. It really ought to update automatically upon making changes to the offset/BPM for optimal workflow.
  • Not sure if bug or oversight, but it's possible to create multiple charts of the same difficulty of the same game-type (Edit difficulties aside). For example two Easy Dance-Single charts. Not sure whether this is intended behaviour or not and how game clients would handle this if it goes unnoticed by the simfile creator.

The missing stuff / stuff that would be nice to have / could be improved:
  • Hold creation could be improved. Right now it is only possible to create holds by pressing the note-key and then navigating down. Would be great if it was also possible by navigating up, as well as creating a hold immediately after you removed a note (instead of removing the note first and then having to re-press the note-key again before you can create the hold). Finally, ability to merge holds would be great too (when you create a hold by navigating up and run into another hold).
  • Backgrounds get stretched to fill the window. It would be nice if the background would get scaled instead and its proportions kept intact.
  • It would be nice if it would be possible to zoom in/out using ctrl+mouse scroll wheel.
  • It would be useful to have the ability to add notes to the selection by holding down ctrl while clicking on or selecting additional notes. Perhaps this same mechanism can be used to subtract already-selected notes from the existing selection.

The nice stuff (non-exhaustive, too much good stuff to mention):
  • Being able to navigate through the chart quickly with the mini-overview on the right side (even during playback).
  • Being able to scroll through the chart using the mouse scroll wheel (even during playback).
  • Adjusting the zoom while the chart plays.
  • Swiftly switching between charts while staying at the same beat, even during playback.
  • All the neat little windows with useful info that you can open up while stepcharting, which automatically update upon switching to another chart.
  • Support for negative BPMs!
  • Undo/Redo capabilities.

If anything needs clarification I'd be happy to do so! Bright things ahead with this neat application.
0 x
=====

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you for the feedback, I will start working on adding/fixing the things you mentioned for the next release. I will write a more detailed point-by-point reply to your feedback when the new build is out.
0 x

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:01 pm

Fantastic, cheers! I'll be looking forward to the new build :)
0 x
=====

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:00 am

Some additional feedback/reports:

Moar (minor) bugs:
  • It seems AV doesn't create a CDTITLE field by itself in the simfile...? Even though you can specify it in the simfile properties window.
  • It ought to not be possible to write colons and semicolons to any user-definable fields (title, artist etc.) since it messes up the simfile format (which uses : and ; to define the beginning and end of data). I would personally suggest that if used, these characters should be replaced with their full-width counterparts (: and ;). If that's not possible though, perhaps a dash or underscore.

Moar suggestions/feature requests:
  • In case of loading an existing simfile: Auto-detection of audio (if for some reason the audio can not be found as defined in the .sm/.ssc/etc, use whatever audio file is present in the folder). In those cases a system message would be nice too to warn the user that the defined audio file could not be found.
  • Sample music preview capabilities.
0 x
=====

Jousway

Postby Jousway » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:43 am

vet gemaakt jonge, anways I showed it to some people that use ddream and they like it a lot :D, only think they ask for is an option to switch to downscroll, can you add that please :>
0 x

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I used to work with DDReamStudio as well so it had a big influence on the design. I will add an option for downscoll to the next build (I assume you're referring to something similar to the Reverse mod in ITG/stepmania).
0 x

Jousway

Postby Jousway » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:20 pm

[+] SPOILER!

really loving this editor, way more than ddream cuz I can add custom styles and noteskins for my drum files :D
and the dancing bot is shuch a great thing to have, love this program, keep up the good work :D
0 x

Return to “StepFiles”