ArrowVortex (DDR/ITG/PIU Stepfile Editor)

Hier kun je zelfgemaakte stepfiles posten en praten over stepfile editing (audio files graag extern hosten vanwege copyright redenen).
Here you can post stepfiles you created and talk about stepfiles editing (please host audio files externally for copyright reasons).
CND9

Re: ArrowVortex (DDR/ITG/PIU Stepfile Editor)

Postby CND9 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 pm

ohhhhhhh i actually tried using it today....
scroll segments and other such wacky shit doesn't preview in the editor... when will that be coming along?

also! split timing is not working for me. when i put scroll segments in one chart, they're applied across all charts. what's going on there?
0 x

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm

CND9 wrote:ohhhhhhh i actually tried using it today....
scroll segments and other such wacky shit doesn't preview in the editor... when will that be coming along?

In contrast to segments like stops/delays/warps/BPM changes, which affect the actual timing of the song or chart, scroll/speed/etc. segments are visual effects that affect gameplay. If ArrowVortex gets a preview mode that simulates gameplay, that would be the place where these new segments will show their effect. As for when this preview mode will be implemented, I honestly can't say at this point, as it will probably take quite a bit of time and effort to develop.

CND9 wrote:also! split timing is not working for me. when i put scroll segments in one chart, they're applied across all charts. what's going on there?

As I stated in the release post, currently there is no interface for adding split timing to a chart. Right now, ArrowVortex determines if added segments belong to song timing or step timing based on whether or not the chart already has split timing. I added a statusbar indication (View > Status > Show timing mode, should be enabled by default) that will show up as "Timing: steps" or "Timing: song" on simfiles that use split timing. If the timing indication does not show up, none of the charts have split timing and any tempo changes will apply to the song timing by default.

tl;dr: if you want to edit charts with split timing right now, you will have to make sure the chart has split timing when you open it in AV. An option to add/remove split timing in AV will be added next release.
0 x

lisain

Postby lisain » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks for making and continuing to work on this! It's really useful! I made an account here just to thank you!

So far, it's been working extremely well for me. While I actually prefer the look of the SM5 editor, this has been much more useful. As for feedback...

It's been said, but I'd love a 'check for updates' button somewhere. either manual or upon opening it, or an option to decide between.

Aside from that, while I haven't really seen one (there might be one, I could just be blind) is there a way so that it will save a stepchart as both SSC and SM? I lot one of my charts because I saved it as an SM while I had a blank SSC, and checked it out in the editor. Out of habit, I did a quick save, and... well, poof, gone. On the same subject, would it be possible to implement a kind of backup feature? Like, a backup folder with incremental backups of SM or SCC files (or maybe just a plain old TXT file). Like, if I'm working on a chart and want to see what I did an hour ago, I could just open something from there and see the chart from that long ago. With a timer to set how often an incremental backup is made. It's not important, but a feature I really wish it had.

Then theres the dance bot. I love seeing it when I'm in bed and dont particularly want to pull up my own mat and check the steps on there, but, it doesn't seem to check for holds and doesn't do hands (might also not check for mines, but I haven't tested that yet). I'm sure its not high on your priorities though, and It's not a feature that I desperately need (I mainly make doubles charts btw). I'm pretty sure you probably know this though.

as for one final thing, I might have read something about it in this thread a few weeks ago, but dragging down a freeze into another freeze deletes the bottom freeze. It's designed that way, right?

Again, thank you for making this!
0 x

CND9

Postby CND9 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:43 am

The entire purpose of scroll segments and whatnot is to simulate BPM gimmicks without having to fuck with the timing, so I wish they'd just be implemented into the standard preview.
0 x

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am

lisain wrote:It's been said, but I'd love a 'check for updates' button somewhere. either manual or upon opening it, or an option to decide between.

I'll add it to the bucket list.

lisain wrote:is there a way so that it will save a stepchart as both SSC and SM?

Not automatically, but you can always save manually to both formats using Save As. I suggest using SSC while you are working on the simfile, and only saving to SM once the file is finished to avoid two versions. Since the most recent release, quicksaving with (ctrl + s) will save back to the loaded format instead of the default save format, so opening and saving a blank SSC should no longer save over an existing SM file.

lisain wrote:On the same subject, would it be possible to implement a kind of backup feature? Like, a backup folder with incremental backups of SM or SCC files

It's been requested before, so I'll add that to the bucket list as well.

lisain wrote:Then theres the dance bot. I love seeing it when I'm in bed and dont particularly want to pull up my own mat and check the steps on there, but, it doesn't seem to check for holds and doesn't do hands (might also not check for mines, but I haven't tested that yet).

True. The dancing bot started as an experiment that I implemented for fun and hasn't been updated in quite some time, but people really seem to like it. I might go back to it some time, but for now I indeed consider it low priority.

lisain wrote:as for one final thing, I might have read something about it in this thread a few weeks ago, but dragging down a freeze into another freeze deletes the bottom freeze. It's designed that way, right?

Right now it's by design. I think the current behaviour is ok, but I don't have strong feelings either way, so if more people think dragging down into a hold should extend the hold then I'll change it.

Added in 3 minutes :
CND9 wrote:The entire purpose of scroll segments and whatnot is to simulate BPM gimmicks without having to fuck with the timing, so I wish they'd just be implemented into the standard preview.

I can see this is pretty important for you, so I'll start working on a basic preview mode similar to the SM5 editor that will show speed/scroll effects.
0 x

lisain

Postby lisain » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Ah, thanks for the reply. Glad to know that backups are on the bucket list! That's probably the one thing I really, really want.

Fietsemaker wrote:
lisain wrote:as for one final thing, I might have read something about it in this thread a few weeks ago, but dragging down a freeze into another freeze deletes the bottom freeze. It's designed that way, right?

Right now it's by design. I think the current behaviour is ok, but I don't have strong feelings either way, so if more people think dragging down into a hold should extend the hold then I'll change it.

It's not a particularly a big deal, but it's slightly annoying to deal with. Occasionally I'll decide to make a note a freeze and move it into another freeze, only to find that the bottom freeze was deleted. I can see the utility behind deleting the freeze below, but so far I have yet to encounter such a situation were that has been needed vs. how many times I've accidentally deleted a freeze. Although, I'm only one person, so it might just be for me. edit: I say that, and I just ran into a situation where that happened to be useful. although I still run into the former much more often. perhaps something like alt+up and alt+down could be used for overwriting while doing it normally would result in a merge? Or perhaps the reverse?

Also, is there a way to include videos and have video playback in this yet? I'm assuming that's probably on your list if not, probably very low, or I'm utterly blind if it is. edit: also, a way to create lrc files? Another thing I'm pretty sure is low on priorities, though. Just wondering if that is a feature that may come in the future or not.
0 x

Thumbsy

Postby Thumbsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:17 pm

lisain wrote:perhaps something like alt+up and alt+down could be used for overwriting while doing it normally would result in a merge? Or perhaps the reverse?

I like this suggestion!

Also, I think I found a bug. AV crashes when you do ctrl+up or ctrl+down and there is no content to work with (i.e. in sync mode, empty chart, when there is no simfile loaded). There may be more cases that trigger the bug, I haven't tested it thoroughly.
0 x
=====
Events I'm attending/planning involving dancing games, feel free to join! :) :
2017.12.xx: ????

Fietsemaker

Postby Fietsemaker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Thumbsy wrote:AV crashes when you do ctrl+up or ctrl+down and there is no content to work with (i.e. in sync mode, empty chart, when there is no simfile loaded). There may be more cases that trigger the bug, I haven't tested it thoroughly.

I've just tested that as well, it will be fixed in the next release.
0 x

CND9

Postby CND9 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Requesting proper metadata support for SSC. "Step Artist" writes into #DESCRIPTION instead of #CREDIT as expected.
#CHARTNAME, #CHARTSTYLE, among other metadata have no fields in Arrow Vortex.

None of these are particularly important so please prioritize expanded SSC support instead, especially scroll segments and Tickcounts (would also be nice to have an AutoPlayCPU-esque preview that would let me see the combo count. This is something not even SM5 does and it's infuriating having to bounce over into play mode just to preview my tick count for Pump charts).

Thanks for your work as always!
0 x

Jolocaust

Postby Jolocaust » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Gotta say I'm very impressed with how intuitive this editor is. It's a lot quicker and easier to get the hang of than ddream. However, having played with bars that have column colours (no snap colours) really makes it hard to use it for charting. I've always used the editor in osu to chart because of this, on top of the lack of reverse scroll in ddream. Would you consider adding options for column specific note colours so bar people like me can use this tool instead of inferior tools like the osu editor?

Example: < and > being red, ^ and v being blue
0 x

Return to “StepFiles”